Whenever you click on an advertisement while surfing a site, someone gets paid. This happens because the publisher of the site uses the pay-per-click model of marketing. PPC is an advertising tool used by marketers to drive prospects to business sites on the internet.
PPC stands for pay-per-click. It is an online advertising process where advertisers pay publishers of content for every click their advertisement gets on the website. This model of marketing is common with commercial searches.
How ppc works
Search engines like Google provide the pay-per-click advertising model through their Google ads platform. Social networks like Facebook and Twitter also provide platforms for PPC ads. With the PPC model of advertising, digital marketers pay for advertising campaigns only when online users click on their ads.
To determine the viability and importance of the ads that pop up on the results page of their search engines, pay-per-click advertising operates with a bidding system known as the Ad Auction. Search engines use the Ad Auction to determine which ads are credible and relevant enough to appear on their search results page.
The Ad Auction, as the name suggests, allows advertisers to bid on certain keywords which they consider applying to the kind of business product or services they offer. These keywords are words that when online users make search queries on a search engine would cause their ads to display on the search engine results page.
In a typical example of PPC advertising, let’s say you sell clothing, to begin your PPC advertising campaign, you could bid on the keyword, “trendy outfits.” PPC advertising is an advertising plan that allows you to use certain keywords you think will draw online users to your Ads.
To know the best keyword that can grow your business there are keyword search tools that you can use to find the best keywords that generate increased clicks from online users.
After getting the right keywords, you need to create a professional ad and place it on the platform of the search engine, and then you can set the bid to determine where the ad will appear in the ad section of the search results, whether in a high position or lower. However, quality score, which summarizes the quality, ad viability, landing page feature, and click-through rate, is one of the major factors that determine an ad’s suitability for the highest position.
When online users submit search queries, the search engine does an automated algorithmic calculation based on the Ad Auction. These calculations will determine the ads that will be displayed, in what order they should be displayed, and by which advertiser.
What are Google ads?
Online advertising platforms make pay-per-click advertising possible, and Google ads are a major online advertising platform that provides pay-per-click advertising plans. Google LLC developed Google ads; it allows advertisers to bid to display short advertisements to online users. Advertisers pay a certain cost known as the cost per click CPC.
For your Google advertisement to pop up whenever relevant keywords are searched you have to win the Google ads auctions to win. However, this means you need to enhance two major factors: your quality score and the bid amount. Your ads stand a chance to get better positioning when your quality score and the bid amount are higher.
What is ppc keyword research?
To make good use of the pay-per-click advertising plans provided by programs like Google ads you need to carry out PPC keyword research; this is the first step in using Google ads to create an inflow of traffic to your website.
PPC keyword research keeps you updated with the best keywords that can push your ads towards a more viable position online. The best PPC keyword research makes your paid advertisement connect with words and phrases that appeal to preferred audiences.
What is a broad match?
Search engines use various tools to determine the search terms that your online advertisement appropriately matches, one of which is the broad match keyword type. As its name suggests, this type of match makes it possible for your advertisement to match wide-ranging keyword searches connected to your keyword.
How to do ppc keyword research
Knowing exactly what to do when conducting PPC keyword research gives you an edge in the online marketing process. Aside from the option of choosing a PPC marketing specialist, there are certain basics that you could also consider if you’re carrying out the process yourself.
- Knowing the Right Keyword Terms: aside from your brand name and product names, there are words, terms, or phrases that align with the identity of your brand. These are called non-branded terms, “nobody owns it.” These non-branded terms, describe the nature of the products or services you have to offer.
So you should research words or terms that are connected to your business, whether directly or indirectly. When online users need something, they typically search for their needs, not the brands that address the needs. Since customers search for needs first before brands then it’s proper for the brands to sell the name of their solutions before their brand name. Your PPC keyword research should also include the brand names of your competitors and their products. This strategy could connect you to the broader network in your industry.
- Long Tail Keywords: broad search terms tend to have a higher cost because competition for these terms is higher. Broad terms cover a wide range of keywords connected to your keyword. Higher costs on ads clicked bring about a reduction in the ROI. Therefore, a common way to surpass this downside is to opt for long-tail keywords. This means you’ll have to be more specific. for example, if you’re an online marketer of clothing you can opt for key phrases like ‘kids clothes,’ ‘kids summer outfits’ or better still ‘full-length kids cape dress’. The catch is to become more specific rather than general.
- Negative keywords: as much as you have a PPC keyword list of the right keywords that could create positive results, some keywords could cause negative results. They are known as negative keywords. Negative keywords are words that would likely put your ads where you don’t want them. These negative words could be offensive terms or words that connote discrimination or more commonly racist slurs. This could mess up your advertising goals.
Managing your ppc campaigns
Effective management of PPC campaigns guarantees Campaign relevancy. Good management helps you get the most out of your PPC campaigns. You’ll need to consistently make sure that every segment of the online advertisement from SEO to PPC marketing is functioning properly. Consistent monitoring will eventually result in increased conversion rates, amongst other steps you’ll have to:
- review search term reports
- select the right keywords
- keep track of your competitors
- optimize your campaigns
- use the best devices
- manage your bids effectively
We hope we’ve answered the question of what PPC stands for. If this article was helpful, please share it with others.